2023 SJHT Bass Classic Anglers final Day at Salem Canal 10-01-23
View Thread
 Print Thread
Sunset Lake Results Sat. 03-19-11
BigNasty06
Place: Sunset Lake, Bridgeton,NJ
Time: 8:00am-2:00pm
Date: Saturday, March 19, 2011
Weather: Very breezy with air temps 55-58 with Blue Bird sky's as morning progressed
Water Temps: Ranging from 52 degrees up to 54.3 pass the zoo
Water Clarity: Semi murky with Less than .5' clearer later in the Day
Wind Gusts: 15-25mph
Best Lure: Blk Blue Jigs, Rattletraps, Crankbaits, & Brush Hogs
Depths fished: 2.5'~4.5'
Bass Limit: 3

--------------------------------------------------
The weekend of the Super Moon and the winds that followed !!!!!

i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/SuperMoonView-03-19-11.jpg

Welcome old and new SJHT members and guests. What an awesome turnout for our 1st tournament of the 2011 season. Can you say 27 anglers and 18 boats!!! Great turnout to battle the tough, windy conditions. With anglers running out of battery juice and requesting\sending out S.O.S signals to get towed back to the ramp, it was one of those days. Before I forget, Big shout out to Rob a.k.a. "Ram1212", Kyle a.k.a. "Wallhanger", and let's not forget Jimbo for helping those in need of extra batteries and the aid in towing those requesting the help. That's what it's about guys!!! On a day met with an enormous turnout and those that have traveled as far away as Ocean County and Jackson, NJ, I take my hat off to you guys. It will only get better!!!

Congrats goes out to today's 1st place winner and Lunker winner: Dennis "Jiggen Den" T. with 1 Bass weighing 4.21lbs. Second place was won by 2nd year member Kyle "Wallhanger" S. with 2 Bass weighing 3.25lbs. Third place was won by Brian "Bass Hopper" S. with 2 Fish for 2.92lbs. The official Sunset Lake "Tale of the Tape" along with pictures of anglers fish will be posted once recieved from Jimbo sometime on Sunday.

1st Place and Lunker Winner:
Dennis "Jiggen Den" T.
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/IMG_1839.jpg

2nd Place:
Kyle "Wallhanger" S.
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/SunsetKyles2ndplace325lbs-03-19-11.jpg

3rd Place winner:
Brian "BassHopper" S.
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/SunsetLakeBassHoppers3rdPlace292lbs-03-19-11.jpg

4th Place: Jimbo
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/IMG_5960.jpg

Tale of the Tape:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/SunSetLakeTaleofTape-03-19-11.jpg

Other members bass:
FishinTroop
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/SunsetLakeTroopers195lber-03-19-11.jpg

Jackson:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/SunsetLakeJacksons112lbs-03-19-11.jpg

Dan "Crappie Jon":
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/SunsetLakeDanFitzpatrick188lber-03-19-11.jpg

Chris "BigShow" P.:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/SunsetLakeChrisBigShowPalmers177lbs-03-19-11.jpg

Bill "The Hammer" L.:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/SunsetLakeBillLeach195lber-03-19-11.jpg

Drew "Bates" B.:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/SunsetLakeBates203lbs-03-19-11.jpg

Hal:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Sunset%20Lake-%2003-19-11/SunsetHals99lbs-03-19-11.jpg

All in all, I believe there were some 15 Bass brought to the scales with No-Limits. Talking with some anglers, some caught there keepers earlier in the day while many like Jiggen Den's was caught with less than 45 minutes remaining in the tournament. Way to never give up!!!

Thanks again to VP Jay, Weigh-Masters John, and Jimbo in making sure things ran smoothly.

BN06
Edited by BigNasty06 on 04/06/2011
BN06, President

jiggin den
Just wanted to say, it was nice meeting the new members on Sat. (since I missed our Annual Meeting). With that said, I would like to give a brief summary of my day. Members use to write a brief post of how there day progressed, but things sometimes drift away. Here goes. First 15 mins. I hook up and long and behold a pickeral. Ok that felt good, something pulling on the other end. Then cast after cast, traps, cranks, jigs, worms, all over the main lake. Then BN had to leave by 11;00, so I dropped him off at ramp and then proceeded back towards zoo. Pitched Jig left and right as fast as I can, and eventually ran into Jimbo and Chris heading back to main lake. I went as far as the first big cut to the right and fished some downed trees, with jigs and cranks, but no takers. Started back towards main lake and kept saying, why haven't I had even a pickup on the jig? But I just kept flippin into what ever cover I saw and then I saw this brush/overhanging in the water and flipped right into it, saw a huge swirl and waited a second and set the hook. The time was 1:35 I had to get back quick knowing I had to fight the wind going under the bridge, but made it back, and saw Jimbo towing Bill back. Congrats to all that caught fish on a brutal day.

Jiggin Den

Crappie Jon
flipped my way past that brush at 1:202angry haha that was one nice fish. maybe we can start the trend back up ill take a try.

shot into the cove behind the ramp on the start. one lap with the trap, one with a spinner, and one with a crank.. nothing. battled my way around to the other side to no avail. made it all the way to the top o the lake by 10:30 and proceeded up the feeder creek. pitching a wacky senko into the brush as far up the creek as you could go ducking trees and all. coming back out to the lake around 11:45 i toss the senko into some deeper brush and feel a slight tug back. wait it out and set the hook. swung her in the boat and a mike iaconelli celebration commenced ( ask Drew B i believe hell tell ya). and this point fished my way out of the creek and set the trolling motor to 100% making a b-line to the zoo canal. started pitching again to whatever. pitched one tight to shore and the line took off. set it a threw a close one in the boat. measured him a few times just at 12" on my rule. at 1:20 started making my way back. as i it the main lake i stopped dead,which is what the battery was. stop to switch over to the electronics/outboard battery, and get a nice shock in the process when a wave came over the stern onto the neg terminal. get her hooked up and head back. 2nd fish would up being short on the courtesy check, but im happy withmy day. let parvin be windless!
Edited by Crappie Jon on 03/20/2011

jimbo
Well here is my mini day on the lake... Hal and i started our day out throwing traps around the dam area for all of about 30 minutes before making a b-line to the runway! Maybe a 100 yards down the runway Hal hooks up with his first bass of 2011! He caught the thinnest 13 inch bass I have ever seen, on a shakey head with a berkley wacky worm! Not 50 feet from where Hal hooked up I get my first bite on the baby brush hog! Unfortunitly this one was lost at the boat, but we where both in agreement that it was probly under sized. Still wish we would have gotten that one in for at least a messurement...
We continued down the canal to where it opens up. I threw more brush hog, and some drop shot, and even some jerk baits. All with no luck. Next we decieded to venture even further down the runway. I'm glad we did, cause this is where I was able to shake off the rust and boat my first fish! This little fatty was hanging out in the crook of a submerged branch! He hit my brush hog as soon as it hit the water, and just ran with it untill I set the hook and wrangle him over the branch...
We continued on to the dam where I had another bite, but no hook up. I looked down at the time, and said to Hal we should start heading back. We fish our way back with narey a bite until we reached the zoo!
All day we where listening to Led Zepplin, Tenacious D, God smack, Green day, and Weezer, but for some reason I was in the mood for something a little lighter. So I popped on some Tom Jones! Well it must have been what the fish wanted to hear, because we caught 4 fish in the next 15 minutes at he zoo while Tom Jones was playing! The first being my 2nd keeper again on the BH while Tom sung "Momma told me not to come"... Then Hal caught a dink less then 5 minutes later! Followed by a Pickrel double during "It's not unusual"... secret
We fished our way to within 100 yards of the last bridge, when the cellie started to blow up! The "Troop" was in need... His batteries where fried. I said I have a reserve, but it's old and mostly dedicated to livewell duty! My #1 battery was fadding fast, so I said lets hook up old betsy and see what she's got! Well needless to say she had just enough to get'r done... It took over 30 minutes to get from the bridge to the end of the point. I think Bill and his partner where also helping with the paddles...thumbup
Not to bad of a day considering it's mid March, and there was a lot of fishing pressure on that lake that day...clap
Jimbo

ram1212
congrats to all that caught fish!

Very tough day out there! Open heart surgery on my trolling motor started my day. After having the motor issues I decided to stay close to the ramp and fished that little cove the rest of the afternoon with no luck. Traps, dropshots, wackys and a variety of shaky head combos couldnt get it going for me. I was very jealous when I got a peak of the otherside of the bridge where it seems most of the fish were caught. Still happy I didnt risk going back there and getting stuck though. We had enough towing going on!

Dale, I have your rope and will return it at Parvin.

tboebass
Congrats to all who braved the elements and caught fish thumbup

BigNasty06
Wow... Looks like you guys definitely had your hands full. Ironically enough, it looks like those that heeded my words on having an emergency contact number came to light. pray

Thank goodness that everyone made it back to the ramp safely.

Congrats to Jiggen Den on pulling out that victory. He's almost like the KVD of SJHT. itsok No one can ever count him out as he always finds a way to pull out a squeaker of a victory. (i.e. Look at his 2009 SJHT Bass Classic victory on Day 2 on the Salem Canal under Fishing Reports).

http://www.southj...read_id=40

Thanks for everyones input and Day on the Lake. For myself, the blustery wind conditions somewhat caught me by surprise. Sunset Lake has always fickled me. The times I do run back past the Zoo and to the other smaller pond area, I tend to not catch anything with size. Knowing that I had to leave a bit earlier, I didn't want to head back there right away as I knew Jiggen Den would put on a show flipping his jig into the submerge wood and laydowns. Not too mention, I noticed 6-7 boats making a Bee Line in that direction.

I believe the overnight cold front along with the drop in Temperatures had the majority of bass confused a bit. The forecast for the Parvin SP Tournament looks like it might be a bit cooler with air temps. Either way, I'm looking to have another fun filled day without the crazy winds.

BN06
Edited by BigNasty06 on 03/21/2011
BN06, President

Kyle
well here goes. i started my day out by making a b-line straight to the pond past the zoo. i get there and after about 10 minutes of flipping a craw, i get snagged on a log.....or so i thought. i tried pulling real hard on my craw and notice that its moving to the right. i set the hook and have the fish on for about 3-4 seconds then it popped off. it felt like an easy 4lber, but i will never know for sure. anyway i spent the next 2 hours flipping, cranking, and throwing traps without so much as a nibble. i decide to go to the main lake. i am greeted with some big ol whitecaps. i was headed up to the feeder creek when i saw the waves crashing around the boat ramp and thought, hmmm maybe there will be fish there looking for baitfish being blown toward shore. my first cast toword the boat ramp i hook up with my first keeper on a red-eye trap. i then move up to the first cove on the left if u leave the boat ramp headed toword the feeder creek. i get my second keeper of the day on the red-eye. next cast i get a nice pickeral (about 4lbs). after that i just practiced casting till 2pm. at the weigh in i see jiggin den's lunker and think to myself that i dont stand a chance of even finishing top 5. well it looks like i wasnt the only one having a hard day cuz i ended up taking second with 2 fish for 3.25lbs. anyway congrats to everyone that caught fish cuz u definitly earned it today. also it was good meeting and getting to know some of the new guys. see everyone next week at parvins. p.s. i'll bring my hip waders again if anyone needs help launching their boat. hopefully it will bring me good karma again next week LOL.

jiggin den
Thats what I'am talking about!!! Nice reports guys. It gets interesting reading what everyones day on the lake was like. and sharing some information. See you all at Parvin. By the way if anyone ever needs an emergency pump for your livewell, I carry a spare on my boat just in case. It has alligator clips on it for easy hookup to you battery, but I don't have a spare battery.

Jiggin Den

Crappie Jon
i have a backup one also...its my aerator though!. of course a fellow angler is way more important than a fish, and besides, a good bendy straw could aerate for a while!
Edited by Crappie Jon on 03/21/2011

jiggin den
Actually the pump I mentioned is a aerator for the livewell with suction cups on the bottom.

Jiggin Den

Kyle
jiggin den wrote:
Actually the pump I mentioned is a aerator for the livewell with suction cups on the bottom.

Jiggin Den

i have the same one for a back up livewell/bilge pump

fishintroop
Well here is how Dan and my day went. I was going to go back to the zoo, but always talk my way out of it. So we head up the left side from the ramp throwing jerkbaits and chatterbaits without a hit. Off the first point we start heading to the channel and are casting cranks and rattletraps without a bite. I then tell Dan we are going to go up the channel. The wind is howling and just to keep the boat moving I have to keep the trolling motor at like 70% As we start to reach the flat off the channel I get the first bite and first keeper. We continue up the channel and into the creek with nothing happening. We continue to the first cove(now on our left) around the point and through the next flat, flipping and pitching. I hook up again,but with a short. We go off the point between the cove and the flat and are cranking, but to no avail. I decide to head up to the dam on the left corner and the wind is hellaceous. I got the motor at 100% but we couldn't hold to fish the shoreline. We make our way to the raceway, pretty tired. We start pitchin' and flippin', but we were beaten soldiers. We pass Basshopper, Big Show, I can't even remember who else, and finally Jimbo and Hal. We turn around and start coming back, after we pass the beginning of the zoo, I say to Dan...We ain't going to make it. I start pulling the boat along the shore and Dan is paddling his ass off. I give a SOS out to Jimbo and Hal who are still in view and we all make it back with 4 minutes to spare.
Little misunderstanding on my part, the cranking battery was new last season. The trolling batts were 3 yrs old. Probably wouldn't have mattered on a normal day, but did I tell you guys how windy it waswhaaa
Edited by fishintroop on 03/22/2011

BigNasty06
Troop,
Great synopsis on you and Dan's day on the water. Like you said, it probably would not have made a difference. It was Windy as heck!!!

I've fished on that body of water on calm days and ran all the way back passed the raceway\zoo area and have had a little to no juice to get back to the ramp.

I commend you on the phone call for me to alert Jay of your possible mechanical battery issues with less than 30 minutes to spare. That right there is what my cell# and others are for.

BTW... I guess I'll have to unpack my Guidewear gear for this coming Sunday. LOL!! 2sad

BN06
Edited by BigNasty06 on 03/23/2011
BN06, President

lipripper
In the words of Garth Brooks "I got friends in low places" wow tough day. Just when you think it's safe to go back in the water all hell breaks loose. (F#$%). I would like to thank Rob for towing me back I owe you big bro, and Kyle thanks for loaning me the battery to salvage what was left of my day. If I only could have capitalized on all that good will the day would have not been all that bad at least I know you guys got my back..... Or not worried I would catch anything. Either way thank you for the help. I promise to be ready for the next one. Good luck at Parvin Rob hang on to that rope see ya at the next one.

Kyle
Dale, u know i got your back LOL. That also goes for everyone else in the club. If there is ever anything I can do to help one of u guys out, I will. See everyone at Parvin's this Sunday.

jimbo
Kyle wrote:
Dale, u know i got your back LOL. That also goes for everyone else in the club. If there is ever anything I can do to help one of u guys out, I will. See everyone at Parvin's this Sunday.

Will you bring me a shovel, and keep my deck clear of snow this Sunday at Parvins?? Yo BTW Happy belated Birthday...thumbup
Jimbo

Kyle
i would jimbo LOL, But Kyle the weatherman says no snow for sunday lol.

fishintroop
BigNasty06 wrote:

BTW... I guess I'll have to unpack my Guidewear gear for this coming Sunday. LOL!! 2sad

BN06

Heading to Dick's now to get some extra thermals for under the GuideGearthumbup

basssteeler
Kyle wrote:
i would jimbo LOL, But Kyle the weatherman says no snow for sunday lol.

Haha but I actually want snow. It will give me more of a challenge. Justin the weather man says IT'S GONNA SNOW! lol
Edited by basssteeler on 03/26/2011

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest News At SJHT
THIS WEEKS WINNER
Dennis *Jiggen Den* Tolentino with 3 Bass weighing a Total 8.36 lbs
at LUMS SP
2023 CLASSIC WINNER
Jackson *The Bass Love Me* Fu
17.73Lbs. 6 fish Assunpink Lake & Salem Canal

2024 HOOK THIS TOP 6
1. Pete Ingemi
2. Jackson Fu
3. Dennis Tolentino
4. David Snedeker
5. Mike Del Monico
6. Rob Masterson

2024 LUNKER
Mike *The Bass SLAYER* Del Monico

At DAVIS MILL POND
6.16lbs
2024 HOOK THIS ROOKIE TOP 5
1. Jeff Zeitz

Events
<< April 2024 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          
Users Online
· Guests Online: 12

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 62
· Newest Member: BluntedBassSteve
Last Seen Users
BigNasty0608:41:34
Scooter 6 days
Riversofash5 6 days
billylee 1 week
moe 3 weeks
Scotto53 4 weeks
topgunmatt1 7 weeks
rvansciver10 weeks
fishintroop32 weeks
BluntedBassMike34 weeks
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/21/2024 21:52
Update: 2024 Opener at DoD Lake moved to Sunday, March 24, 2024 7am-2pm. clap

11/12/2023 13:13
Update: 2024 Zoom Meeting Sun. 11-12-23 to discuss Lake Selection & other bodies of waters. fishing
NJ State Police MSI