· Slap count: 0
· Last checked ID: 258
2023 SJHT Bass Classic participants

2023 SJHT Bass Classic Anglers final Day at Salem Canal 10-01-23
View Thread
 Print Thread
On board charger question/issue
ram1212
Hi Guys, hoping someone knows the answer.....for some reason when I plug my 3 bank charger in, the gfci blows in outlet that I always used with no issues. I plugs a regular charger in and no problems....I then plugged the on board into a surge protector th a t was connected to a non gcfi outlet and so far no problems, but still concerned.....any idea why the outlet is tripping? Thanks in advance.

jiggin den
Could be the gfi outlet is bad.? Maybe change the outlet and see what happens, or try plugging a hair dryer into the gfi outlet and see if it works.If the hair dryer does not trip it, double check the 3-bank charger for possible short in wire maybe kinked somewhere.

Dennis

Crappie Jon
Stick a fork in the outlet to test gfci functionality lol. Jk I second everything Den said above. Good luck finding the issue
Edited by Crappie Jon on 02/22/2016
"2nd place is just the first loser"

ram1212
LOL, fork!!

I did plug a hair dryer and a vacuum and it didn't trip. So, must be a short somewhere. There was also a ton of water back there, so maybe when it dries out i will have better luck. I'm just hoping i dont have to replace the charger, but I dont think i need to because it did charge when in a non gfci.

Thanks fellas, appreciate the your input.

Crappie Jon
That would kind of concern me. Last thing u want is to wake up to ur boat on fire cause something didn't trip when it should. You don't want to end up like Chris lane

i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii416/snappedline/9EE3F3E6-BDB4-4DCA-B2C6-6F17DEA8F423_zps1oeditt8.jpg

I'd inspect that charger real good. And still wouldn't really be at piece of mind. Hair dryer should draw more AC amps than the charger, the AC input amp draw is less than the dc output amperage. What kind of charger is it? Do u have any other gfci outlets u can try? Also are u using an extension cord? Try varying that as well
Edited by Crappie Jon on 02/22/2016

ram1212
Yea, I definitely need to fix and figure out the issue. The boat is right next to the house so the Chris Lane situation would take down the house also.

I thought the gfci tripping was telling me of some kind of shock risk so i figured as long as I was touching anything back there while it was on, Id be all right. Plus I checked it every 15 minutes or so because i didnt trust it....all that to go fishing and i didnt even get to go.

I am using an extension cord (tried 3 different ones) and i have this charger:
Bass Pro Shops XPS Intelligent Technology Series Onboard Marine Battery Charger - XPS iT 5/5/5. It was a cheaper charger, so hoping that isnt the issue.

It was half way underwater as one point last month so I'm afraid that might have something to do with it, but figured once it dried i should be ok. Maybe it wont be ok or just hasnt dries out yet? I also have one battery with a very rusty connector cable, could that be causing it?

BigNasty06
I second everything that Jiggen Den and Dan stated.

On most onboard chargers, they have fuses located in-line with the number of Banks to be Charged. Inspect those carefully and look for burning, discoloration, or signs of possibly failing.

I agree, if the Hair Dryer dosen't blow the GFI, then the culprit more than likely is the the Onboard charger and possibly it's fail\safe featuer kicking in.

Let us know what you find out.

BN06
BN06, President

jackson
I think gfi outlets trip when it sees a ground issue. Undo all the batteries from the charger and plug it in and see if it trips. If it does, its the charger, if not clean off and retighten all the battery connections.

ram1212
Thanks guys, plan on doing some more investigating today using all your suggestions. I'm not very good with electrical, but I'll figure it out. Hopefully just something dumb.

ram1212
So the problem was there was still a ton of water in the charger. I took it apart, poured the water out and let it air dry from Sat until today. Put it all back together, rehooked it all up and it has been running for 3 hours with no trip.

At first I was thinking what a POS the charger was but now I'm kind of impressed. It was my fault it ended up under water and even still after drying out, being torn apart, then reassembled and it still seems to work.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

fishintroop
That is good news. My old boat had that same charger. It was 12 years old when it blew. I bought another one just like it because it lasted so long

ram1212
WOW, good to know Troop!

BigNasty06
Glad to here. clap

BN06
BN06, President

jiggin den
Glad that worked out for you Rob. We don't need to be spending anymore $$$$$ this early in the season! LOL!

Jiggin Den

trapper
Just remember water and electricity don't go well together glad u figured it out

Crappie Jon
I wouldn't be comfortable still, that'd be new charger for me. Frown Glad it's working tho

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest News At SJHT
THIS WEEKS WINNER
Dennis *Jiggen Den* Tolentino with 3 Bass weighing a Total 8.36 lbs
at LUMS SP
2023 CLASSIC WINNER
Jackson *The Bass Love Me* Fu
17.73Lbs. 6 fish Assunpink Lake & Salem Canal

2024 HOOK THIS TOP 6
1. Pete Ingemi
2. Jackson Fu
3. Dennis Tolentino
4. David Snedeker
5. Mike Del Monico
6. Rob Masterson

2024 LUNKER
Mike *The Bass SLAYER* Del Monico

At DAVIS MILL POND
6.16lbs
2024 HOOK THIS ROOKIE TOP 5
1. Jeff Zeitz

Events
<< May 2024 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    
Users Online
· Guests Online: 14

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 62
· Newest Member: BluntedBassSteve
Last Seen Users
BigNasty06 1 day
topgunmatt1 1 day
Scooter 3 days
Riversofash5 1 week
billylee 2 weeks
moe 4 weeks
Scotto53 5 weeks
rvansciver10 weeks
fishintroop32 weeks
BluntedBassMike34 weeks
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/21/2024 21:52
Update: 2024 Opener at DoD Lake moved to Sunday, March 24, 2024 7am-2pm. clap

11/12/2023 13:13
Update: 2024 Zoom Meeting Sun. 11-12-23 to discuss Lake Selection & other bodies of waters. fishing
NJ State Police MSI