· Slap count: 0
· Last checked ID: 258
2023 SJHT Bass Classic participants

2023 SJHT Bass Classic Anglers final Day at Salem Canal 10-01-23
View Thread
 Print Thread
Lums tourn
jiggin den
Almost didn't make it to Lums, due to a stomach virus or something of that nature that started Friday afternoon. Woke up Sat. and started to get dressed and then said do I really want to fish and the adrenalin started to kick in, and being fishless up to this point I said go for it stomach ache and all! Glad I did. Not sure how many anglers we had show up, but here goes. The morning started with a light breeze, and the sun just starting to come up. Water temps started at 58 and went to 62-63? (I was late and had to travel somewhat to find Kyle fishing the bank accross from the boat docks so he could check my livewell.
I started in the cove near the boat docks and caught 2 shorts on a drop shot. Later left the cove fished the docks and caught my first keeper. Later picked up my second and tried hard for my third and did hook one but came unbuttoned as the wind blew my boat one way and the fish swam the other and it was over!

I would like to thank all those who came the distance to fish Lums. A big congrats to Rob for taking 1st place and a real nice bag. and White Mike for 2nd place with another fine catch! I believe Jay came in 3rd Place Congratsto you, and Big Al had Lunker that went 4.22? sorry if Iam wrong on any of this but I am trying my best with out the tail of the tape in front of me, my apologies!

What I have to say next will make many of you angry as it did me on Sat. While I was taking my bag down to the pond to release my fish, Kyle and White Mike were just getting to the waters edge when I was behind them and Kyle yells look at that! I looked at one of Mikes fish he had by the lip getting ready to release it. The fish had a NYLON ZIP TIE in its lip as if someone had this fish tied up somewhere waiting to pull a fast one on some tour! The fish had one side that seemed to be bruised possibly from banging against something while trying to get free. The fish could have died from not being able to eat, had it not broken free. The Nylon tie was very tight to the lip so I don't think it had a heavy line attached to it maybe mono? This is so low that someone would do this just to win a tour. I remember a simular story posted on Bass NJ not to long ago.

Next weeks tour. we will be a bit short handed as BN and John and Jay our weightmasters will Not be there due to prior commitments. If anyone wants to volunteer to help out with weigh in, recordings, getting boats in water livewell check etc it will be greatly appreciated. Parking may be a little tight so try not to take up two spots. I believe there is a launch fee of $11.00 with the envelope system simular to Lums pond. Remember NO fishing outside of the Sassafras river period!! We are launching in a marina area simular to Anchor Marina. When you come out of the marina you can go right which has I believe a long no wake zone. you can also go left out of the marina and there is plenty of water to fish for those who don't want to venture way up the Sass.
Good luck to all and thanks in advance for any volunteers.

jiggin Den

BASS HOPPER
I would be more than glad to help out with the weigh in.Also there is a free ramp about a block away from duffys you can fit 8 vehicles at this ramp.I dont know how many of us will be fishing this T but it can save 12.00 and it is realy tight at the other ramp so we will have to go out and meet up to start the T anyway I would like to go to free ramp if its ok if not I guess I will wast 12.00 lol

BASS HOPPER
I seen somthing at lums also that I didnt like and it shoulda never happend in my opinion one of are members walked his fish back to the lake in hand this looks so bad and should be avoided there is no reason for it and that was a long walk not like walking 20 feet either way I think we should put the fish back in are bags for this

jiggin den
Definitely agree, all fish should be returned to the water in a bag WITH water unless you are within a safe distance, say no further than 20-25ft from waters edge. Closer in the hotter months whenever that might be!!! Thanks for volunteering to help Brian. I'll get back to you about the free ramp.

Jiggin Den

white mike
Jiggen Den thanks again and congrats on breaking the ice in 2014, mustve felt good!

What is the name of the launch/area we will be putting in at this weekend on the Sassafras?

ram1212
Thanks Den, nice report! Way to tough it out in the AM. I'm sure the fish made it worth it.

I can help out any way needed next week. I have the book and scale so will try to get there as early as possible.

fishintroop
I'll do what I can to help. I have a friend that has a place on the Sassafras. I'll reach out to him and find out about any free ramp.

jiggin den
The ramp is at Duffy's Marina. not sure if it is in our directions site.

Duffy's Creek Marina
20 Duffy Creek Road
Georgetown, Md. 21930
410-275-2141

jiggin den
Thanks Rob and Troop! I think we will be ok with all the volunteers.

Jiggin Den

BigNasty06
Great write-up Jiggen Den and way to tough it out!!! Man...once that adrenaline starts to rush, it's hard to toss and turn in the bed.

I tell ya...the next few weeks should be on fire...and I won't be able to partake till ourTournament on the NorthEast River. whaaa

That zip tie incident really has me puzzled. hmmm Since this is a State Park in Delaware, I'll have to submit a formal report. Not sure how far or at what level something like this could be elevated, but I'll see.

The Sassafras Boat ramp directions at Duffy's Marina will be posted in the Lake Information section and a link in this thread a bit later today.

It would be nice to get somewhat of a head count especially if we have less than 10 boats. Note: when launching and loading back up at Duffy's Marina, one cannot use to outboard motor to power back up on there there trailer. The folks down that way don't like that and you will get frowned upon.

Thanks to those who volunteer and are willing to help Jiggen Jen. Regarding weigh bags and transporting the Bass to and from the water, we should have plenty of Extra bags at the bottom of the weigh Bag setup. If not, I have some extras in my vechicle which I'll make sure someone gets them. If the current bags seem old and needing replacing let me or Jiggen Den know and we won't have this issue. Thanks for bring that up B-Hopper.

Note: The New Cabelas located right behind the Christiana Mall is having it's Grand Opening this Thursday, May 1, 2014 through the weekend. Word on the street is that they're gonna have some amazing deals.

Alright...check back later for those Directions and keypoints at Duffy's Marina or whatever ramp you guys decide to use.

Tightlines,
BN06
BN06, President

fishintroop
fishintroop wrote:
I'll do what I can to help. I have a friend that has a place on the Sassafras. I'll reach out to him and find out about any free ramp.

I checked with the Maryland Div. of Natural Resources. Said the free ramp only has parking for about 3 vehicles and it is not even a parking lot, but an alley way.

BASS HOPPER
fishintroop wrote:
fishintroop wrote:

I checked with the Maryland Div. of Natural Resources. Said the free ramp only has parking for about 3 vehicles and it is not even a parking lot, but an alley way.
I was there 3 times last week and used the free ramp. It is tight but at one point there was 8 vehicles with trailers parked at this ramp. Can be done but like i said it's tight.I also went to duffys ramp and its tight as far as being in the water when you put in you'r going to have to move out and meet up kinda like we did at the old salem canal ramp. And there was nowhere to park due to the dry docked boats.But the lady there assured me that by next week there will be plenty of parking
Edited by BASS HOPPER on 04/29/2014

BigNasty06
Bass Hopper- That same lady also assured me that by Saturday, those dry dock boats would also be moved. Just saying...

BN06

fishintroop
Just watched the weather. Looking to get 4 inches of rain through the Upper Chesapeake and South Jersey. High muddy water. Hope it doesn't drop the water temp too much NO

Subfish
Just wanted to address the 'Walking a Bass back to the lake' complaint by BassHopper. I do agree with the idea that fish need to be handled properly and a bag should be used all the time. I do my best to handle them with care and feel that carrying it back without the bag was a no-no, however that fish had been caught only a few minutes earlier at 1:56 and was very lively. It was also weighed in first (even though I was the second to last to get out of the water). I will assure everyone that it won't happen again.

rvansciver
Everyone should have a weigh bag, its in the best interest of keeping the fish alive. It is also right in the rules

" Fish MUST be brought to the scale in a weigh-in bag alive. Dead fish will count but there will be a 8oz. deduction. Dead fish cannot be culled."

If anyone ever needs to borrow my weigh in bag please feel free to ask. I dont mind sharing.

ram1212
I borrowed Brian's bag which is why he walked it back. He mentioned he would just walk it back and I too didn't think it was a big deal so didn't disagree.

I know we shouldn't make a habbit of walking the fish back and will not...but it was out of water for the same amount of time that we wrap it in a plastic bag, weigh and then take pictures....dont think we harmed it too bad. Wont happen again.
Edited by ram1212 on 04/30/2014

BigNasty06
ram1212 wrote:
I borrowed Brian's bag which is why he walked it back. He mentioned he would just walk it back and I too didn't think it was a big deal so didn't disagree.

I know we shouldn't make a habbit of walking the fish back and will not...but it was out of water for the same amount of time that we wrap it in a plastic bag, weigh and then take pictures....dont think we harmed it too bad. Wont happen again.

Rob...Do me a favor and check the bottom of the weigh setup contractor size bag. There should be plenty\good\some unused extra weigh bags in that bag. If not, I'll find someway to get extra bags to an angler fishing this Saturday.

Thanks in advance Rob.
BN06
BN06, President

jackson
I didnt see anything at Lums, but I know when I ran opens for other clubs, it annoyed the crap out of me when people asked for weigh in bags. Its one thing to forget it or just dont feel like walking all the way to the boat to get it lol, but everyone who fishes T's should absolutley have one. Just my 2 cents.

ram1212
BN, Seem to be plenty of bags in there. Just a matter of figuring out which ones leak besides the actual weighing bags. When the rain stops I'll try to clean out some of the older ones with the holes if that's ok with you.

Jackson, If I fished as many tournaments as you i probably would go buy one. I don't fish any opens though, i fish once a week with SJHT and we have a whole garbage bag full of weigh in bags. When my own bag got a hole some how, I started using SJHT and never went back. I was under the impression that is what they are there for?

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest News At SJHT
THIS WEEKS WINNER
Rob *Black Cloud* Masterson with 3 Bass weighing a Total 11.94 lbs
at NORTHEAST RIVER MD
2023 CLASSIC WINNER
Jackson *The Bass Love Me* Fu
17.73Lbs. 6 fish Assunpink Lake & Salem Canal

2024 HOOK THIS TOP 6
1. Pete Ingemi
2. Dennis Tolentino
3. Jackson Fu
4. Rob Masterson
5. David Snedeker
6. Mike Del Monico

2024 LUNKER
Mike *The Bass SLAYER* Del Monico

At DAVIS MILL POND
6.16lbs
2024 HOOK THIS ROOKIE TOP 5
1. Jeff Zeitz

Events
<< May 2024 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    
Users Online
· Guests Online: 9

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 62
· Newest Member: BluntedBassSteve
Last Seen Users
Scotto5316:08:20
Scooter20:08:23
BigNasty06 3 days
topgunmatt1 1 week
Riversofash5 3 weeks
billylee 4 weeks
moe 6 weeks
rvansciver12 weeks
fishintroop34 weeks
BluntedBassMike36 weeks
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/21/2024 21:52
Update: 2024 Opener at DoD Lake moved to Sunday, March 24, 2024 7am-2pm. clap

11/12/2023 13:13
Update: 2024 Zoom Meeting Sun. 11-12-23 to discuss Lake Selection & other bodies of waters. fishing
NJ State Police MSI