2023 SJHT Bass Classic Anglers final Day at Salem Canal 10-01-23
View Thread
 Print Thread
Deadliest Catch at The Manasquan Results- 03-31-12
BigNasty06
Place: Manasquan Res, Howell, NJ
Time: 8:00am-2:00pm
Date: Saturday, March 31, 2012
Weather: Totally CRAZY!!! Cool, Cloudy, intermittent rain; 25MPH~35MPH NorthEast Winds; Occasion Fog followed by 2'~3' Swells;
Air Temps started off in Mid 40's giving way to Chilly cold, wet 47 Degrees.
Water Temps: 52.3 degrees.
Water Clarity: Clear Visability down to 3.5';Crazy chop out in the wide open; Got worse as the day went on!!!
Wind Gusts: Constant in your FACE 25-30MPH
Best Lure: It really didn't matter; It was tough as BALLS to get even a Nimble;
Depths fished: 4'~12.0''
Bass Limit: 3

-----------------------------------------------------
Men and women....Good evening! Well after day that will go down in SJHT history as one of the Toughest ever in terms of a bite, Bass boats TM not having the Balls to navigate from one side of the Res. to the other, and just simple horrible weather, all I gots to say everyone yesterday took one for the Team!!!

Let me begin by setting the scene and painting the picture so that those unfamiliar with what we dealt with was just crazy. We had 20 members and 1 guest come out to battle the Squans elements.

Here is snapshot of the place looking outward...mind you towards the end of the day or till anglers said "No Mas" amigo!!!
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0865.jpg

Another view looking passed the rangers boats.
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0866.jpg

We got started a bit after 8am not realizing the place didn't open up till 7am. Once everyone was on the water, me and a New Member Kyle Sherman made our way Northward going towards the infamous stumps and standings trees. I generally had a good feeling..especially knowing that I had a good size boat to deal with the winds, waves, and ample space. About an hour or so into the Tournament, I get a 10.5"er on a DS finesse bait. I'm like yeah...Okay. My new member fishing his first ever tournament and not having ever dealt with the Squan Wrath was hanging tough. In the distance, I'm seeing some guys catch similar fish like mine but on the small side. Next thing I know, the wind picks up even more, the waves swell like we're in the Kodiak Bay and "The Time Bandit" is sending out SOS signals for help.

Observing how the conditions are rapidly changing and to get my rider back to shore, I immediately leave the MILF HWY area and make the long trek against the wind and waves back towards the ranger station. I see others in the distance somewhat making a Bee Line like myself.

By this time it's only like 12:30pmish~12:45pmish. I see Jay my VP, Jim T., and Bass Hopper (already loaded up and out!!) I'm somewhat game to go back out, but then the fun begins. My cell phone is pretty dead. So anyone needing help or assistance with getting back to the ramp can't go through me. I decided to load my boat up, but upon doing so, my TM rope snaps. A good samaritan tries to assist near the boat dock but in the process, he drops his cell phone into the water. Now since the visability was down to 3.5', I could see it from my vantage point. Like State Farm, I attempt to reach down in the water from the boat and you know what happens next!!!!

On Land snapshot.
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0862.jpg

Yes, BN06 takes another one for the team and goes into the Squan for a quick and brisk dip!!! I can honestly say with my Guidewear Gear on and ability to swim with the fishy's, it was quite humbling.

Note: To self, slippery glass boat and rain repellant rain suit do not mix!!! LOL!!! Take my words for it!!!
Hence... this somewhat late report!!! I'm still trying to stop laughing!!!

Here's what the ramp looked like as anglers tried to load back up..
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0867.jpg

Alright...with all the laughs and BS out the way, lets get back to business... Yeah...Stop laughing!!!

Let's give a big shout out to new SJHT Rookie class member Chris N. for taking 1st and Lunker with 1 nice Smallie Bass going 3.73lbs. 2nd Place was won by Rob. M. aka "Ram1212" with 1 bass going 2.54lbs. 3rd Place was won by Chris P. with another nice Smallie Bass going 2.50lbs!! Way to stay to the end fellas and bring some fish to the scales!!!

Chris N. 1st Place:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0868.jpg

Rob "Ram1212" M. 2nd Place:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0864.jpg

Chris P. 3rd Place:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0869.jpg

Manasquan Res. Tale of the Tape:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0871.jpg

Parking Lot as guys left in a rush....
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0861.jpg

Now, I know most anglers whether tournament or leisure anglers are saying, "You guys must have been nuts going out in those conditions. Well that maybe the case but sometimes the Weathermen are wrong and it could be some of the most specatular fishing if things align themselves corrrectly. We had anglers and there boats smashing up against the rock points down by the MILF hwy due to not so much having No Electric\AMPs in battery...but due to lack of lbs. of thrust to get them and keep them moving against the wind and current. (Remember, i had just left that area a little earlier before Trapper and Jimbo was caught down there).... So what's BN06 do..... I make the long trek westward and this is what I find!!!! LOL!!!

i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0883.jpg

and if you're a Motorguide guys... Wha la
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0884.jpg

All courtesy of...
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0885.jpg

i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/Manasquan%20Res/IMAG0886.jpg

Ya...there are lessons to be learned in everything we do as individuals, anglers, husbands, boyfriends, and whatever your cup of tea maybe. The SQUAN litterally kick our Arse on Saturday. When Club members\Bassnj family ask the question, "What size Trolling Motor" should I get and the funny farm replies the biggest and baddest you're money can buy, then sometimes it maybe worthwhile to save up your pennies a little longer and get ultimately what you want. No one could have told us things would get this bad this early, at this location so quickly....but it did. If we were allowed to use our outboards, it would have help out in a big way. Fortunately, other than some minor scratches and crushed drain plugs and some bruised egos, no one got hurt. We got smacked in the face a little bit, but we lived to talk about it today.

I once again would like to Thank the brave and courageous SJHT anglers and guest for coming out on Saturday. I hoped for some better weather but there is always Rainbow Lake next Saturday. Let's push this behind us and continue to have fun and catch some fish.

Note: I got a crisp $50 if anyone finds my Kaenon Hardcore sunglasses by the Squan ramp...Yeah....What a $%$%$ Day!!!!

Live Action...everyday...All Day!!!
BN06
Edited by BigNasty06 on 04/01/2012
BN06, President

tboebass
Congrats Chris, Rob and Chris yayyy Looks like a mean day. I fished Union and it was windy but nothing like that. looney

Crappie Jon
Crazy day out there by the end of the day pretty much killed my 70lb and my 50lb have never even come close to do that before. Back on the trailer flipped my bilge pump and pulled my plug on the ramp and must've pumped a couple gallons of water out of the boat just from the rain and waves coming over the bow... Very impressed on how my boat did though for its size. Congrats to the people who found keepers I only found a few shorts and a pickeral

jiggin den
Wow! I'am glad no one got hurt! BN stop waxing that boat so much and it won't be that slippery!LOL Congrats to Chris for first place! What a smallie!!! Nice!!! Congrats to Rob on taking 2nd with a nice fat belly, and Chris on third place! I take my hat off to all who fished that day!!! I watched the weather report for Howell N J and said no way! although I really wanted to fish the Squan, being I missed last years outing there. Oh well I guess I'll get my chance at the Classic!!

Jiggin Den

jackson
I went through all 36volts guiding my non boater to that beautiful smallie. Rough day, congrats to all who made it back in.

Kyle
jackson wrote:
I went through all 36volts guiding my non boater to that beautiful smallie. Rough day, congrats to all who made it back in.

what kind of batteries do u have cuz i still had 60% life left on my batteries when i hooked them up to the charger when i got home. congrats to the fish catchers. me and my brother got on some fish in a little area off a point, but i had to have the trolling motor on 70-80 just to hold our position, and we had a fortrex 80lb thrustShock

Crappie Jon
He runs the bargain batteries lol, as do i thumbup

Crappie Jon
Oh yea i got bored crossing the lake by myself so if you didnt fish it heres a taste of what u missed NO

i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii416/snappedline/th_squan.jpg

Kyle
Crappie Jon wrote:
Oh yea i got bored crossing the lake by myself so if you didnt fish it heres a taste of what u missed NO

i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii416/snappedline/th_squan.jpg

the video doesnt even begin to do those waves any justice. it looks like u took that video pretty early on in the day toolooney

Kyle
Crappie Jon wrote:

yea so do i. i have the walmart brand ones. i think they are everstart marine maxx 29 seies. all i know is they are the biggest ones walmart sells. if u have the receipt, u can bring them back and try some new ones. they have an 18 month no questions asked free replacement warrenty. the ones i have are less than 2 months old. thats the reason i chose walmart brand over say optima,thumbup

rvansciver
Kyle wrote:
Crappie Jon wrote:

yea so do i. i have the walmart brand ones. i think they are everstart marine maxx 29 seies. all i know is they are the biggest ones walmart sells. if u have the receipt, u can bring them back and try some new ones. they have an 18 month no questions asked free replacement warrenty. the ones i have are less than 2 months old. thats the reason i chose walmart brand over say optima,thumbup

I have the same ones and love them, they last all day
i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac164/bvansciver/Sponsors/ptlurebanner.gif
i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac164/bvansciver/Sponsors/2fc47d47-45e3-4a2d-ba9b-be0dfc48887a_zps445e4f4a.jpg
i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac164/bvansciver/Sponsors/eco_pro_web_logo_zps83858012.jpg

Crappie Jon
Yea we have the pepboys prostart series, like I said never even came close like that before the only other time I've killed them was when I tried to fish last years assunpink t in the hurricane, then a Parvin t fishing in the current of the creek. That didn't work LOL

BigNasty06
Yeah....that video didn't do those waves any justice. whaaa

But i appreciate your video effort!

BN06

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest News At SJHT
THIS WEEKS WINNER
Dennis *Jiggen Den* Tolentino with 3 Bass weighing a Total 8.36 lbs
at LUMS SP
2023 CLASSIC WINNER
Jackson *The Bass Love Me* Fu
17.73Lbs. 6 fish Assunpink Lake & Salem Canal

2024 HOOK THIS TOP 6
1. Pete Ingemi
2. Jackson Fu
3. Dennis Tolentino
4. David Snedeker
5. Mike Del Monico
6. Rob Masterson

2024 LUNKER
Mike *The Bass SLAYER* Del Monico

At DAVIS MILL POND
6.16lbs
2024 HOOK THIS ROOKIE TOP 5
1. Jeff Zeitz

Events
<< May 2024 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    
Users Online
· Guests Online: 9

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 62
· Newest Member: BluntedBassSteve
Last Seen Users
BigNasty0606:51:19
topgunmatt113:46:49
Scooter 2 days
Riversofash5 1 week
billylee 2 weeks
moe 4 weeks
Scotto53 5 weeks
rvansciver10 weeks
fishintroop32 weeks
BluntedBassMike34 weeks
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/21/2024 21:52
Update: 2024 Opener at DoD Lake moved to Sunday, March 24, 2024 7am-2pm. clap

11/12/2023 13:13
Update: 2024 Zoom Meeting Sun. 11-12-23 to discuss Lake Selection & other bodies of waters. fishing
NJ State Police MSI