2023 SJHT Bass Classic Anglers final Day at Salem Canal 10-01-23
View Thread
 Print Thread
Manasquan Res. Club Results- 07-23-2011
BigNasty06
Place: Manasquan Res., Howell, NJ
Time: 6:45am-2:45pm
Date: Saturday, July 23, 2011
Weather: Un-Goddly scorching Hot 85 Degree Start rising to a BBQ 99 Degrees but really feeling like 104 Degrees! Sun in and out of the Clouds...so it could have been worst!
Water Temps: 83 degrees Left of boat ramp at start; rising 83.4~88 Degrees Mid Day to early afternoon.
Water Clarity: Visability down to 8'
Wind Gusts: Pretty calm with sporatic breezes late in the day
Best Lure: Small Pumpkinseed\Camo colored finesse worms, Mid to Deep running crankbaits, Shakey Heads
Depths fished: 1'~8.5'
Bass Limit: 3

-----------------------------------------------------
What happens when the weather gods hits us and most of the nation with Temps near 100 Degrees and you have a group of tested anglers determined to catch Mobey Dick at the infamous Manasquan Reservoir? Clash of the Titans....or so we would like to call it!!! LOL!!! Words cannot begin to describe what it was like baking out in the sun for nearly 8hours. I give mad props to all those workers and construction guys working outdoors when temps near 100 Degrees!!! Dude...you guys deserve everything your earn and much more!!!

Alright back on point. Today SJHT had 10 members along with 4 guest come out to due battle on the so-called "Land of the Giants" waters of Manasquan Res.. Word on the street was that the next club Lunker was going to be caught today. As anglers arrived starry eyed and wide awake after the 1hr 20min ride North, I spoke on my dream of catching 3 for 20lbs!!! LOL!!! Then I laughed and talked more smack.

Tthere were 3 Limits caught. 21 Largemouth Bass brought to the scales. No Smallies weighed in. 11 out of 14 Anglers weighed in fish. Total combine weight of fish were 35.78lbs giving an avg. weight of 1.70lbs per bass.

While there were a significant number of fish caught, there were also alot of dinks caught and thrown back. Word on the street is that guys were culling before 7:15am.

Without further adieu, please give a big congratulations to 2010 SJHT Bass Classic Champ Jimbo for weighing in 3 Bass weighing 6.29lbs. Second place goes to Rookie newcomer John B. "Bama". for weighing in 3 Bass going 5.75lbs minus .50lb dead fish penalty and Lunker going 4.08lbs. minus .50lbs dead fish penalty. This is John's B. first 2nd place finish this year and in the money. Third Place went to another Rookie member Dan F. "Crappie Jon"for weighing in 3 Bass going 5.28lbs. Way to battle the elements men and stick to your guns!!!

1st Place winner Jimbo:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/SJHT%20Club%20Photos/ManasquanJimbo1stPlace629lbs-07-23-11.jpg

2nd Place winner John B. "Bama"":
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/SJHT%20Club%20Photos/ManasquanJohnB2ndplace575lbs-07-23-11.jpg

3rd Place winner Dan F. "Crappie Jon":
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/SJHT%20Club%20Photos/ManasquanDanF528lbs-07-23-11.jpg

Here's the Official Manasquan Res. Tale of the Tape:

i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/SJHT%20Club%20Photos/Manasquan2011TaleofTape-07-23-11.jpg

Other Notable Catches:

Robs catch:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/SJHT%20Club%20Photos/ManasquanRob206lbs-07-23-11.jpg

Jackson's catch:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/SJHT%20Club%20Photos/ManasquanJackson151lbs-07-23-11.jpg

Guest Jesse's catch:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/SJHT%20Club%20Photos/ManasquanGuestJesse153lbs-07-23-11.jpg

Ed's catch:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/SJHT%20Club%20Photos/ManasquanEdW520lbs-07-23-11.jpg

Dale's catch:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/SJHT%20Club%20Photos/ManasquanDale334lbs-07-23-11.jpg

Bob Van S. catch:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/SJHT%20Club%20Photos/ManasquanBobVanS141lbs-07-23-11.jpg

BN06 catch:
i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/BigNasty06/SJHT%20Club%20Photos/ManasquanBN06216lbs-07-23-11.jpg

Looking at the Tale of the Tape, one can see anglers for the most part catching bass, however the weights do not seem typical for the Squan but then again, we've had a heat wave lasting almost 2 weeks now. Many anglers reported culling somewhat early in the contest, while others, including myself lost 2~3 good ones close to the boat as I was about to lift them into the boat. My 1st keepers didn't come till about 10:45am. Although the bass were nibbling at my baits, I never really had anything bulldog me deep....Well may the 2~3 that got away did for a split second....but I attribute that to my weak hook sets.... and saying to myself....Phuck the net!!

Thanks to all of our members and our 4 guest for coming out and baking in the sunshine with SJHT today!![/b]. Although Manasquan didn't really show it "Land of the Giant's" monica, anglers still had a good time figuring out where exactly the bass were located. The Squan always holds a special spot for us SJHT anglers. Just wish it was closer!!!

See you in 1 week at the Canal\Game Creek!

Tightlines,
BN06

Edited by BigNasty06 on 07/24/2011
BN06, President

Kyle
congrats to jimbo on the win, and everyone that braved the heat. i had to work outside on the pavement all week, thats why i decided to sit this one out. i'll definitly be at the canal tx regardless of the weather. hey Jimbo, i knew u were going to do good at the squan cuz its a dropshot lake. i just hope i can reclaim my 2nd place spot for AOY by the end of the year lolfishing

jiggin den
Congrats on the win Jimbo! and everyone that braved the oven temps! any reports???

Jiggin den

jackson
Congrats Jimbo and the guys who placed. I didnt do well, but gotta love the Squan. Ill get my revenge there one day.

fishintroop
Congrats Jimbo...2 in one week. Look outwoohoo Congrats to all the fish catchers and all that braved the heat. I had a surprise 50th birthday party to attend, so it would have made for a looooong day. See ya'll at the canalthumbup

lipripper
Good job to everyone. Way to go jimbo you are the man keep it up see you all on Sat.

jimbo
Thank's guys!
Well I guess I owe you guys a day on the lake report! So let me start with "I had a plan". Well I abbandoned that plan 20 seconds in, and went with plan B... My original plan was to head to the tree island, and throw deep diving cranks on the way. Well after 3 boats past me at the ramp and where heading that way. I figued cranking in there wakes was not going to be fruitful. Next best option, throw some plastic around the Rangers quarters! Needless to say plan B worked! I had 5 fish within the first 15 minutes, 3 of which where keepers! Next we headed over to the wood on the other side of the ramp where I picked up a few more dinks. After about an hour we headed back to the Rangers station and I pulled out another couple bass including a nice 2 pounder... The Drop shot was on fire!
By now I'm approaching 20 bass! only 4 keepers though. Time to make a run so off we go down the left bank toward the milf patch. along the way we run into BN and Dan who seem to be on some fish themselves! I was still picking up dinks left and right, no keepers for a while though, so we crossed the milf patch, and I started throwing so diferent baits. I picked up a pickrel on a T-rigged dead ringer, and some nibbles on the smallie beaver but no bass. We then decided to try our luck at the tree island. I went back to the DS and the fish started biting again! I picked up another dozen fish and culled 2 more times! After 3 or 4 laps around the tree island we drifted back toward the milf patch with again just nibbles!
With 3 desent fish in the livewell we decided to take a little trip and try the far bank. I've never been to this side of the lake, but I was now petty confident what the bass wanted! I did try some deep diving crank on the trip over, with no takers, but soon after arriving I want back to old faithful... I started picking up more dinks, and even a few large sunnies. We crossed paths with Jackson and continued toward the rip rap. This was where I found my biggest fish and culled 5 more times, but I never found that kicker! All the fish along the rip rap where around two pounds, I was busy working the culling beam and trying not to get blown into the rip-rap! nervous
With time running out and my batteries getting weak we worked our way back to the ramp. Where my buddy Pete finally caught his only keeper on a crankbait! I picked up a few more dinks and another keeper which didn't help my total... What a day though nearly 50 bass in total 14 of which where keepers!!! I still only pulled out the win by .04 if Bama's lunker would have survived... Late in the day I culled a fish that made my beam just barely tilt, so i guess those things really work! It's the first time this year I've used the beam, chit it's the first time I've ever used it... Grin
Jimbo

Kyle
hey Jimbo its a great feeling using that culling beam and culling all day isnt it. 2 Sunday's ago was my 1st time i've ever used a culling beam too. Heck it was the 1st time i've ever culled. Once again, congrats on a well earned win (and u and Rob knocking me out of 2nd for AOY) lolthumbup

jimbo
Kyle wrote:
hey Jimbo its a great feeling using that culling beam and culling all day isnt it. 2 Sunday's ago was my 1st time i've ever used a culling beam too. Heck it was the 1st time i've ever culled. Once again, congrats on a well earned win (and u and Rob knocking me out of 2nd for AOY) lolthumbup

itsok Don't worry Kyle you will be right there come the end of the year! Now you can show us all that knowledge you've gained on the Canal... thumbup I've never done all that well at the Canal, but I've put some time in there this year, with a little success! So I guess we will see!
Jimbo

BigNasty06
Jimbo....Awesom Day on the Water!!!

Thanks for the complete report and see you on Saturday!!!

BN06
BN06, President

Kyle
jimbo wrote:
Kyle wrote:

itsok Don't worry Kyle you will be right there come the end of the year! Now you can show us all that knowledge you've gained on the Canal... thumbup I've never done all that well at the Canal, but I've put some time in there this year, with a little success! So I guess we will see!

i dont have a clue what im doing at the canal, the open buddy i won was just one of those days when u get lucky and everything falls into place. ask anyone that was there, i must have ran from one end of the canal to the other at least 11-12 times that day LOL.Shock

bama
Congrats Jimbo, and everyone who sweated out the day. What can I say I didn't have a fish catching frenzy day like Jimbo. I had never been to Manasquan so I wasted a whole day going around the lake the weekend before trying to find some good areas. After 7 1/2 hrs. I finally caught a keeper.

Tx day I was lucky to see Jimbo catch his first 3 fish before I had my suntan lotion on but with no knowledge of the place I decided to stick with my plan and go to the one spot I had caught a keeper. If nothing else at least I wouldn't be near Jimbo so I could keep telling myself those are probably the only 3 he catches all day. (Boy was I Delusional)

I started my day throwing a Skitter Pop, I had a couple small bass and sunnies but no keepers until 7:45. Once the wind started rippling the water I started throwing a spinnerbait and 1.5 crankbait. Working my way around the wood alternating baits I finally caught my second and final keeper about 11:30. The rest of the day was just us trying to keep him alive which we did until we got back around the ramp. We did catch some more small fish but no keepers.

Crappie Jon
Wow what a day of fishing! Well for me, i was expecting the worst being ive never even SEEN the squan before. I was one of the first boats to launch, chatted with Jackson and Lipripper while i marinated myself in sunscreen and clipped up my jetskiing lifejacket, thinking "this things kinda hot!". 6:45 BN's vocal airhorn goes off and were away. Im hanging on for dear life with the new maxxum on 100%.

1st stop outside point of standing timber, (dam were still in Jersey?), toss out the DS just cuz it sounded ike a good idea, never fished it before. 2nd cast set the hook, under the boat peelin a lil drag and all, 1st keeper in the boat solid 1.5lb plus. I fill up the livewell and put in the KeepAlive i got from Jimbo. I thought you put in a cap full, Jimbo says the rest of the bottle theres not that much. So i empty it in. Now my fish is swimmin in that forest green Gatorade, lol.

I throw a senko for deep in the wood for a while and pick up my 2nd keeper which had me all around a log. Next i head further up the left side where i see BN and we chat while he changes lures. While talking I catch a short on the DS. Threw him back and threw right back to the same spot, another short. Did this 4 more times, and caught 4 more, 2 of them being keepers! First cull of the year also. This is when Jimbo cruises by us and catches 3-4 more fish right in front of us.

So having a limit by 8:30 i decide to cruise across the lake and see what the other side had to offer. i was greeted by the shorts fiesta, probably catching 15 more shorts and 1 keeper, all but 1 on the DS, (1 was on a senko). From then till like 12:30 the bite knda died on me so i headed up to the very top of the lake to the left of the restricted area. Get a couple more shorts so i decide to put down the DS and pick up the rattletrap lookin them big boys. After about 15mins of chuckin the trap off of a sharp point the rod doubles over, yeeeea there he is!! Then up comes that infamous big slimey toothy head. Slob pickeral.

Well that pissed me off so back to the DS. Found an edge that was real steep and close to shore with some nice grass so i start pounding it. bout 10 mins in Wham! Under the boat all over the place comes up my lunker, 2.10. I was pumped. It was about 1:55 so I said "fish till 2:15 then hightail it back to the ramp area and make a few last casts, dont wanna be late with a nice bag". Well now its 2:15 ok 3 more casts, 2nd cast rod loads up again and im fallin all over the boat, Another keeper pushin 2lbs. So a couple more casts just to make sure his brothers not right there and i was gone like the wind.

Just north of the ramp i run into Jackson where we talk about how he cant catch keepers if there are amallmouth in the lake and how hes quitting fishing, while we both catch like 5 shorts each sitting right next to each other!

Wound up taking 3rd, my best tourney finish since my first one ever where i took 2nd in a fluke tourney at 9 years old. And even though im now winded ive gotta say, i know why you guys get fired up for this place, the Squan rocks!

Crappie Jon
^ Wow you guys dont have to read all that if you dont want, lol.

BigNasty06
Crappie Jon wrote:
^ Wow you guys dont have to read all that if you dont want, lol.

Man oh Man!!!! Great wriite up Crappie!!! clap woohoo yayyy

I could not have wrote it better than what you did!!! Fantastic, detailed, and insightful job!!!

I do believe the High weather temps had a little effect on some of the deeper bass seen on my depth finder. The typical MILF area (left of the boat ramp area) where walkers, joggers, and the like leisurely stroll by usually produces a huge, giant bites. I'm talking about line peeling, drag tightening runs. This time around, I had nothing out in the middle but closer towards the MILF Highway, I did have a couple of smaller bites\catches.

Since I had bites earlier in the standing timber, I thought about venturing over near the closed off\restricted area but said, "Why do that" when I was getting bit all along that standing timber area.

If bodies of water like the Squan, Assunpink, and I'll even throw in Spruce Run were closer, imagine how familiar we as anglers would become by fishing more often these places. I'm already tossing the idea around of scheduling Lums Ponds or Killens Pond down in delaware for the 2012 Closed season period. Years ago...under South Jersey Hook One, we visited Lums Pond and Killens and did pretty well.

Here's a snapshot of a young BN taken down at Killens pond. LOL!!

www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/1662KillensPond_DE1.jpg

www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/307Big_Nasty_Killens_Pond_3_16_er.jpg

Our former President under SJ Hook One: The legendary Lenny "BackLash2" Hoskins: who now resides down in Texas catching huge 8lb~10lbers LOL

www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/307Killens_Pond_005.jpg

BN06
Edited by BigNasty06 on 07/28/2011
BN06, President

jiggin den
Hey Crappie, that was a real nice detailed report! Nice job on a place you never fished before! I guess the DS is the ticket there. I fished there one time about 10 years ago, and couldn't even tell you
what the place looks like!!!I'am hoping to make next years tourn there!

Jiggin Den

fishintroop
Nice reports by everyone. Glad to see there were alot of fish to be caughtclap

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest News At SJHT
THIS WEEKS WINNER
Dennis *Jiggen Den* Tolentino with 3 Bass weighing a Total 8.36 lbs
at LUMS SP
2023 CLASSIC WINNER
Jackson *The Bass Love Me* Fu
17.73Lbs. 6 fish Assunpink Lake & Salem Canal

2024 HOOK THIS TOP 6
1. Pete Ingemi
2. Jackson Fu
3. Dennis Tolentino
4. David Snedeker
5. Mike Del Monico
6. Rob Masterson

2024 LUNKER
Mike *The Bass SLAYER* Del Monico

At DAVIS MILL POND
6.16lbs
2024 HOOK THIS ROOKIE TOP 5
1. Jeff Zeitz

Events
<< May 2024 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    
Users Online
· Guests Online: 8

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 62
· Newest Member: BluntedBassSteve
Last Seen Users
BigNasty0611:43:37
Scooter 1 day
Riversofash5 1 week
billylee 2 weeks
moe 4 weeks
Scotto53 5 weeks
topgunmatt1 8 weeks
rvansciver10 weeks
fishintroop32 weeks
BluntedBassMike34 weeks
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/21/2024 21:52
Update: 2024 Opener at DoD Lake moved to Sunday, March 24, 2024 7am-2pm. clap

11/12/2023 13:13
Update: 2024 Zoom Meeting Sun. 11-12-23 to discuss Lake Selection & other bodies of waters. fishing
NJ State Police MSI