· Last checked ID: 258
2023 SJHT Bass Classic participants

2023 SJHT Bass Classic Anglers final Day at Salem Canal 10-01-23
View Thread
 Print Thread
Big papa and the Prince...
jimbo
Over two weeks without wetting a line... whaaa
I'm dying to take out the new rig again...
What am I to do? Call Big Papa!

I say yo BN remember when a certain somebody took ya to a certain lake and then front-boated ya all day? He said kinda...
Well remember, when I said you could come out with me on the Racer X and I would put you on some fish? hmmm Again he said kinda...
So I followed with well How does Sunday at Salem canal sound?
He pause for a moment to catch his breath, or to finish off that BBQ rib he had been gnawing at, and said I'm in...

Salem canal 5-22-11

weather conditions: Cloudy overcast with temps from mid 50's to mid 60's
presentation used: From DS to Heavy hitter and everything in between
water clarity: To 6" if that
water temperature: Hovering around 70 degrees all day
time fished: 6am til 2pm

So where do I start? I guess at the beginning. We get to the ramp about 30 minutes later than we planned, but there was still plenty of room. So we back the boat in gently, I mean not so gently and snap... The boat came off the trailer a little wierd and the front roller caught the plastic tip of the trolling motor and snapped it out off wack! No biggie though we we're not going to let any little set backs stop us from our mission!
So I crank up the out board and we set off down Pad alley. Big Nasty turns to me and asks are we going to fish these pads, and I reply hell no I need to open this biatch up! These ponys need to run...
Not to long after we leave the "Y" we reach destination #1 a little place I like to call "the bridges of Salem county"! Well I start off trowing the Drop shot with instant results. Two dinks in the the first 10 minutes! BN is working through his arsenal, first cranks, then a spinner, even some DS'ing, With nothing to show. We work this area pretty intensly, and find no reward for our effort. I pick up a few more dinks on the DS and start working in some larger plastics. With no takers on the Brush hog or the Dead ringer I go back to the Drop shot. In the mean time BN is working in some jigs and other baits. Now we are close to two hours in and no keepers in the boat. The only bite we are getting is on the DS and that seems to be little bass ranging from 4" to 10". Don't you know it though, just as I'm about to give up on the Drop shot POW! I hook up with the first keeper of the day a real solid 2.5 pounder...

www.myfishingpictures.com/data/2/medium/1st_fish.jpg

As you can see from her tail she's all spawned out! We work the area for about another 30 minutes. I pick up another 2 dinks and a sunny. Its time to run again...
On the way back to the "Y" we run into FishinTroop! He told us he had two small keepers early, but nothing since. After our little chat we ran past the "Y" and started working some pads and shore line. I broke out the Heavy hitter and BN was throwing his jig. I abandoned the HH after about 20 minutes for a baby brush hog, and picked up two more 10" bass. mean while BN had returned to drop shotting. He was getting bites, but no hook ups. Enough bites to get me to pick up my DS'ing rod! Not 5 casts in I hook up with at first I tought was a snag, until my snag starts stripping drag... Big Papa is so exited he was banging the net on the water! After pulling in the reins on BN, I pull the reins in on my second keeper of the day... A nice little piggie! No sooner I get the fish off the hook Big Nasty says you better throw that one on the scale! 4 pounds even on the Berkley hand held!

www.myfishingpictures.com/data/2/medium/4_pounder.JPG

She was a skinny 4#s, clearly spawned out again!

After the four pounder we worked the bank for the next 30 minutes. I picked up another 2 dinks, and BN broke his rod tip.
I finally broke down and relinquished the front of the boat to big Papa! Maybe 10 minute later he's swinging his first fish over the rail! It was just a dink, but it was almost enough to make me feel bad for front ending him for most of the day!"almost"... Now BN was focused in, and it didn't take long for him to produce again! This time though a solid keeper!

www.myfishingpictures.com/data/2/medium/Big_papa.JPG

Bonus pic: Creature bait shot

www.myfishingpictures.com/data/2/medium/Big_papa_II.JPG

Now even big Papa's smiling...
I wasn't going to give up our secret weapon, but what's a little secret weapon among friend? I've been bringing my i-pod with me now for sometime, and when the fishing gets tough There is a sure fire way to turn on the bite! Play some Tom Jones...
Rashawn was really starting to settle in up front. We hit the left bank, then the right bank. Now it was my turn, and I was going to prove you can catch fish from the backseat! I did catch a few dink in the back, but nothing to brag about. Until I hooked up with this solid fatty on the Drop shot...

www.myfishingpictures.com/data/2/medium/last_fish1.JPG

After our little photo shoot, BN worked the boat back to the left bank for the next 10 minutes or so with nothing to show. At this point enough was enough and I vanquished him to the backseat! Well maybe Vanquished is a little harsh, More like asked him real politely... Grin
Now at this point you may be asking yourself, I know about the the Big Papa part of the story, but where does the Prince part come from? Let me enlighten you. As everyone knows Warren Wolk is "The King of the Drop Shot"... There is no disputing that. So Big nasty and I where talking, and I suggested that maybe I could claim the title "Prince of the Drop Shot" if that was ok with Mr. Wolk?
So in tribute to the Prince. I popped on some "Artist formaly known as Prince" on the i-pod! This seem to rejuvenate our bite! Big Papa and I both throw our last keepers in the boat not to long after "Purple Rain" and "Little Red Corvette" ... Big Nasty dumped his back in the drink before I could snap a photo, but I made up for it with alittle Magic!

www.myfishingpictures.com/data/2/medium/Magic.JPG

Well that's about all for our tale. I did get to let the ponies run on the way back though! We also did a lot better putting the boat on the trailer than we did getting off... clapNot to bad a day, 5 keepers for me along with well over a dozen dinks! Big nasty threw in 2 keepers of his own, plus a few dinks for good measure! I would say our best 5 went for around 11lbs...
Jimbo

jiggin den
Nice day out! They were some real nice fish. Been out anywhere else?

Jiggin Den

jimbo
Not in the last two weeks. How about you Den? Are you getting out this weekend?
Jimbo

jiggin den
Yea, going to my favorite place, Canal! on Sat.

Jiggin Den

jimbo
jiggin den wrote:
Yea, going to my favorite place, Canal! on Sat.

Jiggin Den

Well good luck, and leave Hal and I some fish! I think we will be going there or the River on either Monday or Tuesday! thumbup
Jimbo

BigNasty06
Great report Jimbo! Thanks for the invite. We indeed had a great time. The music, snacks, beverages, and conversation were a pleasure.

thumbup
Jimbo is a 1st rate guide on the Canal.

BN06
Edited by BigNasty06 on 05/28/2011

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest News At SJHT
THIS WEEKS WINNER
Dennis *Jiggen Den* Tolentino with 3 Bass weighing a Total 8.36 lbs
at LUMS SP
2023 CLASSIC WINNER
Jackson *The Bass Love Me* Fu
17.73Lbs. 6 fish Assunpink Lake & Salem Canal

2024 HOOK THIS TOP 6
1. Pete Ingemi
2. Jackson Fu
3. Dennis Tolentino
4. David Snedeker
5. Mike Del Monico
6. Rob Masterson

2024 LUNKER
Mike *The Bass SLAYER* Del Monico

At DAVIS MILL POND
6.16lbs
2024 HOOK THIS ROOKIE TOP 5
1. Jeff Zeitz

Events
<< May 2024 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    
Users Online
· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 62
· Newest Member: BluntedBassSteve
Last Seen Users
BigNasty0609:36:32
Scooter23:00:56
Riversofash5 1 week
billylee 2 weeks
moe 4 weeks
Scotto53 5 weeks
topgunmatt1 8 weeks
rvansciver10 weeks
fishintroop32 weeks
BluntedBassMike34 weeks
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/21/2024 21:52
Update: 2024 Opener at DoD Lake moved to Sunday, March 24, 2024 7am-2pm. clap

11/12/2023 13:13
Update: 2024 Zoom Meeting Sun. 11-12-23 to discuss Lake Selection & other bodies of waters. fishing
NJ State Police MSI